[NTG-context] Use Visual studio code

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 21 22:28:16 CEST 2019

On 8/21/2019 9:44 PM, Julian Gompper wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I too use vscode as my editor, and recently wanted to use it for ConTeXt
> as well.
>
> Patrick Gundlach created a tmLanguage file for ConTeXt:
> https://github.com/pgundlach/context.tmbundle/blob/master/Syntaxes/ConTeXt.tmLanguage
>
> I just finished packaging and publishing said file in a vscode extension.
>
> You can find it on GitHub:
> https://github.com/JulianGmp/vscode-context-syntax
>
> Or on the vscode marketplace:
> https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=JulianGmp.context-syntax
>

> As the name suggests, the extension only provides syntax highlighting. I
> might add snippets or build macros in the future, though I would
> probably implement these things in a seperate extension.

I wrote (reasonable advanced) lexers for all the languages that matter
for context (tex, mp, lua, etc), also with support for embedded lexing
as well as highlighting of categories of keywords (updates when new
betas are pushed). These lexers are mostly compatible with my reference
lexers for scite. So that should work anyway. They are poart of the
distribution and activated when one starts vscode from the command line
with the right switches or when one puts thexe lexers someplace known.

So, I didn't make some 'installable package' (also because i actually
want to use a different color scheme and less clutter in the editor) so
the idea is to have a independent start up without interference with an
existing install.

But it works ok here (apart from adbaced suffix based runners, but i can
run tex; ok, i could make mtxrun more clever and cheat but it would be a
hack).

(The problem that I have with editors is that they keep adding stuff and
become more complex over time while in practice I only need avery few
features.)

> Also, if you want to build the document with a keybinding, you could
> define a build task in your tasks.json:
> https://gist.github.com/JulianGmp/a2b38212878c23d71de3d977214f2bf7
The problem is not to have key bindings (I can do that) but to have
different ones per filetype (i want to run lua files with mtxrun
--script for instance) and also because there can be multiple nindings
per suffix. As far as I can see this is not yet possible (when i looked
into it and searched abit i got the impression that this was a general
known shortcoming but also that it was on some agenda to deal with it)
and I don't want to ship/maintain a lot of fragile/moving target
javascript (and node js) code.

Anyway, the files are in the distribuition to play with. And
occasionally I see when it becomes more useable for me. It's currently
mostly a fallback for when scite stops working (unfortunately the lua
lexer support is is not build into scite and the (small) lib is
unmaintained ... ok, i could do that when needed).