[NTG-context] \setupcolumnsetlines does not work again

Sytse Knypstra sytse.knypstra at home.nl
Mon Aug 19 11:57:58 CEST 2019

I thought I understood the mechanism, but I found another instance where \setupcolumnsetlines does not give the desired result:

%%%%%%%%%%%
\definecolumnset[Two][n=2]
\starttext
Test
%\page
\setupcolumnsetlines[Two][1][1][9]
	\startcolumnset[Two]
		\input knuth
	\stopcolumnset
\setupcolumnsetlines[Two][1][1][9]
	\startcolumnset[Two]
		\input knuth
	\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

This setup gives indeed a balanced first page and an unbalanced second page.
But if the fourth line (\page) is uncommented, the second output page is unbalanced and the third page is balanced.
So the mechanism is therefore more complicated than
> only if the first columnset extends to more than one page
> the next \setupcolumnsetlines will work properly.

What is the extended rule? If this intended behaviour, what is the reason behind it?

Sytse