[NTG-context] metafun 2

Mikael P. Sundqvist mickep at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 16:58:18 CEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 11:55 AM Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the process of providing an additional (more abstract) interface to
> some of the old and also new MetaFun code we wonder what kind of
> features users would like to see.
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-1104-mkiv.pdf
>
> As a teaser I uploaded a MyWay document that shows some of what is
> coming. All is experimental but it shows the direction. We're talking
> ConTeXt LMTX here. For instance,
>
>      draw lmt_outline [
>          content       = "hello",
>          kind          = "reverse",
>          fillcolor     = "darkred",
>          drawcolor     = "darkblue",
>          rulethickness = 1/2,
>      ] ysized h shifted (3.75h,-1.25h) ;
>
> Wraps all the outline drawing in one macro with a set of options (there
> will be xml interface definitions for that). Or take:
>
>      draw lmt_followtext [
>          content = "How well does it work {\bf 1}! ",
>          path    = (fullcircle scaled 4cm),
>          trace   = true,
>          spread  = true,
>      ] ysized 5cm ;
>
> which is an easier interface to text along a curve. Arrows can be drawn
> with
>
>      draw lmt_arrow [
>          kind        = "draw",
>          location    = "middle",
>          alternative = "curved",
>          path        = fullcircle
>              scaled  3cm
>              shifted (3.5cm,0cm),
>      ] withcolor "darkblue" ;
>
> but of course the low level interface with its many variables for
> tweaking stays around. Other examples are shown in the mentioned document.
>
> So the question is: What do you miss in metapost support? Of course it
> should fit within the concept, so 'artistic freehand drawings' is not
> something that is likely to get interfaced. We are particularly
> interested in educational applications, if only because ConTeXt started
> out that way.
>
> Hans

Hi,

this looks very promising!!

Since you ask for feature requests:

1) 3d support. This is of course a very big request, but it would also be
useful for many people.
2) About graphing, it would be nice to be able to do contour polots and
density plots. I know I asked for contour plots some time ago, and there
were some examples, but I don't think there was ever some built in support
for it. Maybe that can be done "easy" with help of lua? I guess there exist
good algorithms.
3) (small) The possibility to have arrows in coordinate axes. I have not
had the possibility to test the new features today, and maybe this is
already built in (drawarrow?), but I mention it since I did not see it in
the pdf.

Again, it is very nice that you work on extending MetaPost/MetaFun further!!

/Mikael