[NTG-context] metafun 2

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 14 11:54:54 CEST 2019

Hi,

In the process of providing an additional (more abstract) interface to
some of the old and also new MetaFun code we wonder what kind of
features users would like to see.

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/magazines/mag-1104-mkiv.pdf

As a teaser I uploaded a MyWay document that shows some of what is
coming. All is experimental but it shows the direction. We're talking
ConTeXt LMTX here. For instance,

     draw lmt_outline [
         content       = "hello",
         kind          = "reverse",
         fillcolor     = "darkred",
         drawcolor     = "darkblue",
         rulethickness = 1/2,
     ] ysized h shifted (3.75h,-1.25h) ;

Wraps all the outline drawing in one macro with a set of options (there
will be xml interface definitions for that). Or take:

     draw lmt_followtext [
         content = "How well does it work {\bf 1}! ",
         path    = (fullcircle scaled 4cm),
         trace   = true,
         spread  = true,
     ] ysized 5cm ;

which is an easier interface to text along a curve. Arrows can be drawn
with

     draw lmt_arrow [
         kind        = "draw",
         location    = "middle",
         alternative = "curved",
         path        = fullcircle
             scaled  3cm
             shifted (3.5cm,0cm),
     ] withcolor "darkblue" ;

but of course the low level interface with its many variables for
tweaking stays around. Other examples are shown in the mentioned document.

So the question is: What do you miss in metapost support? Of course it
should fit within the concept, so 'artistic freehand drawings' is not
something that is likely to get interfaced. We are particularly
interested in educational applications, if only because ConTeXt started
out that way.