[NTG-context] Cross references to column numbers

Oliver von Criegern oliver.v.criegern at badw-muenchen.de
Mon Aug 12 15:26:31 CEST 2019

Dear list members,

how can I create cross references to column numbers?

I have a two column layout with column numbers in the header instead of
page numbers (actually, these column numbers are calculated from the
page numbers). Now I want to create a cross reference that returns the
column number of the target. How can I achieve this?

Of course, I can get the page number with \pagereference (for the
target) and \at (for the reference), but for calculating the column
number (according to what I did in the header), I would also need to
know whether the target is in the left or in the right column, and I
can't see how I can get this information.

For an example, see the question posted by me at stackexchange:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/502944/context-cross-references-to-column-numbers

Besides, I am wondering, regarding the generally very regular and
consistent naming of commands in ConTeXt, why this is not so in the case
of references. For example, to refer to a page, I need \pagereference
(for the target) and \at (for the reference); to refer to a line, I need
\someline (for the target) and \inline (for the reference), but only if
I want it to automatically add the word "line" or something else before
the number, otherwise I have to use \inlinerange. It took me some time
to find that out. Wouldn't it be easier to have just one command for the
target and another one for the reference, and everything else, as
counters and headers to be returned, text to be added etc. to be
configured by options?

Best regards,
Oliver.