[NTG-context] Wrong MetaPost text output

Henri Menke henrimenke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 20:12:55 CEST 2019

On 8/11/19 10:51 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> I'll do this (lmtx):
>
> metapost        > use 'textext(.....)' instead of 'btex ..... etex'
> metapost        > rewrapping btex ... etex at the outer level [[dummy]]
> metapost        > rewrapping btex ... etex at the outer level [["foo"]]
> metapost        > rewrapping btex ... etex at the outer level [[bar]]
>
> when this is seen
>
> def drawtest =
>     draw btex dummy etex shifted (0,0);
>     draw btex "foo" etex shifted (1.5cm,0);
>     draw btex bar   etex shifted (3cm,0);
> enddef;
>
> rewrapping can work kind of ok, but it is still more fragile than textext (which can also be used with variables and concatinated strings and such, which probably is what one wants to do in macros)

Thank you for the quick repsonse.  This looks good to me.  However,
could you tell me a way to get the correct baseline with textext?  When
I use

    \startMPpage
    draw btex dummy etex shifted (0,0);
    draw btex foo   etex shifted (1.5cm,0);
    \stopMPpage

the baseline is the one that I would expect from TeX, i.e. at the depth
of the “y” is removed or otherwise correctly accounted for.  In contrast
when I use

    \startMPpage
    draw textext("dummy") shifted (0,0);
    draw textext("foo")   shifted (1.5cm,0);
    \stopMPpage

the baseline will be below the depth of the “y” which is sometimes
unwanted.