[NTG-context] white space after a float in a column

Sytse Knypstra@home.nl sytse.knypstra at home.nl
Sat Aug 10 12:20:47 CEST 2019

Dear list members,

I am struggling with floats in a two-column layout. I understand that there are three up-to-date mechanisms for columns: columnsets, pagecolumns and pagegrids.

However, in neither setup I succeed in producing some extra vertical whitespace after the float if a caption is omitted (i.e. location=none in \setupcaption).

My example:

\definepapersize[square21][width=21cm,height=21cm]

\setuppapersize[square21][square21]

\definecolumnset[Two][n=2]

\setupcolumnset[Two]

\setupcaption[intermezzo][location=none,spaceafter=1cm]
 % no value for spaceafter seems to work
\setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch]

\setupframedtexts[frame=on,corner=round,width=local]

\setuplayout[grid=yes]

\starttext

\startcolumnset[Two]

	\input knuth \par

	\placeintermezzo[bottom][]{}

	\startframedtext

		\input tufte \par

	\stopframedtext

	\input knuth \par

\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

If 'columnset' is replaced everywhere by 'pagecolumns' or by 'pagegrid' through a find-and-replace operation, the result remains identical.

Is it possible to insert more vertical white space after the intermezzo?

A secondary remark: \placeintermezzo always puts the framed text at the top of the next column, no matter whether the parameter is top or bottom. But this is not a big deal.

Sytse Knypstra