[NTG-context] lmtx

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 5 14:38:51 CEST 2019

Hi,

As we're progressing with the lmtx project (aka luametatex + context)
the codebase gets adapted a bit. There are a few things that you need to
keep an eye on:

- As we test with lua 5.4 it can be that you need to wipe the
   cache after an update due to differences in byte code. This
   is only needed when you run into issues. At some point there
   might be a split in lua code (for luatex and luametatex) as
   5.2 (luajittex, not evolving), 5.3 (luatex, stable frozen)
   and 5.4 (luametatex, experimental progressing) have a couple
   of different properties that we might want to benefit from.

- The code base gets split in "Mark Four" and "Mark Fourty"
   files. Some of these are permanent, some can be temporary. It
   can for instance relate to features in and experiments with
   the engine. The only convenient way to test things is in
   'real situations' and often issues can be solved fast.

- As we're experimenting with metafun (and luagraph and ...) we
   also explore new interfaces. This results in a different
   codebase but should go unnoticed for existing code. Of course
   metafun 2.0 (hip and modern internet version speak) can bring
   interesting new things in the end.

As usual, happy testing.