[NTG-context] Captions with background

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Sat Aug 3 17:22:20 CEST 2019

Hi,

in my books I typeset captions onto full page images, therefore I need a background; in the attached example it’s just a white box, usually I use a MetaPost shadow (some of you helped me with that a few years ago, current code see https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Drop_shadows).

Now, the background should just enclose the text, not more. Since I don’t know how long the caption will be (I use the whole setup in a macro), I need a \vbox within \setlayer, but that always uses the full \textwidth, regardless of width settings of \framed.

If the caption is short, the box should be minimal. Is this possible?

Even better would be a textbackground just behind the text lines.

Unfortunately my MP foo is not up to the task, the rectangular shadow was hard enough, but I’d try.
There’s an example in details.pdf, but I don’t understand how I could manipulate the path around the text (not: paragraph).

The example shows another problem: If you run it with --mode=arrange, the bleed is cut off.
Is this a matter of settings or a bug?

Greetlings, Hraban