[NTG-context] \setupheadertexts \setupfootertexts

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 3 00:31:29 CEST 2019

On 8/2/2019 11:59 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 23:36:47 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> we have a lot or areas ... and if you really want you can do this ...
>>>
>>> \setuplayouttext
>>>
>>> Has been there for ages ... (but I never use that method).
>>
>> I has the same question a few years ago but I never used it
>> because it has a few limitations like missing style/color support.
>
> I am looking for a simple and obvious way of setting header and footer
> texts. The \setupheadertexts has limitations and I view this as
> historical, for ConTeXt commands have evolved over time usually towards
> better solutions, even if we leave in place for reasons of backward
> compatibility habits that can be hard to quit.
>
> One example is \setuppapersize [page=letter,paper=letter]
> (sorry, and I *do* much prefer A4).
> This is, I believe, far superior to \setuppapersize [letter] [letter]
>

> Do you find that keys in \setupheader make sense? If so, what choice?
> (as we like to limit the proliferation of key names).
actually there is not really a \setupheader as these are shortcuts to a
few kind of generic commands that set up properties of these areas (a
matrix) on the one hand, and set the content with a different command

(also, this part of context is quite optimized deep down because
checking 25 areas for all possible properties each page flush is costly,
so it would be a major rewrite with little gain; it would also mean
dropping \setuphead etc and using one command for everything ... not
something i want to do in the middle of other transitions like
mkiv->mkxl and such)

hans