[NTG-context] \setupheadertexts \setupfootertexts

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 3 00:23:45 CEST 2019

On 8/2/2019 11:59 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 23:36:47 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> we have a lot or areas ... and if you really want you can do this ...
>>>
>>> \setuplayouttext
>>>
>>> Has been there for ages ... (but I never use that method).
>>
>> I has the same question a few years ago but I never used it
>> because it has a few limitations like missing style/color support.
>
> I am looking for a simple and obvious way of setting header and footer
> texts. The \setupheadertexts has limitations and I view this as
> historical, for ConTeXt commands have evolved over time usually towards
> better solutions, even if we leave in place for reasons of backward
> compatibility habits that can be hard to quit.

What limitations? \foo[{sometext}] is not that different from
\foo[text={sometext}] and often I do

\setupheadertexts[\setups[header}]

\startsetups
   lots of stuff
\stopsetups

because you don't want to add all kind of stuff in a value.

> One example is \setuppapersize [page=letter,paper=letter]
> (sorry, and I *do* much prefer A4).
> This is, I believe, far superior to \setuppapersize [letter] [letter]

A matter of taste but we're not going to drop something ... that kind of
compatibility has always been a principle. If one has few docs it's no
problem to adapt a few styles but it's a no go otherwise (and I'm not
even speaking of adapting all kind of manuals, examples, etc etc.)

And for most of those commands there are k/v varianst too.

(\setuppapersize actually takes lists as page setups can be more complex
than just 'letter')

(But I'm willing to remove the command that I know you hate most, namely
{ {foo} \over {bar} }.)

> Do you find that keys in \setupheader make sense? If so, what choice?
> (as we like to limit the proliferation of key names).
\setupheader is used for styling and such, not for content.