[NTG-context] \setupheadertexts \setupfootertexts

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 21:08:00 CEST 2019

Alan Braslau schrieb am 02.08.2019 um 20:29:
> Hello,
>
> \setupheadertexts [{center}]
> sets a centered header (and wipes-out any left and right header)
>
> \setupheadertexts [{left}] [{right}]
> sets the left and right headers (and keeps the centered header)
>
> \setupheadertexts [{left odd}] [{right odd}] [{left even}] [{right even}]
> sets the left and right headers for even and odd pages
> (perhaps I have this backwards?)
>

> (1) It would be useful to have
> 	\setupheadertexts [{left}] [{center}] [{right}]
> but this does not work.
> In this case, we probably also need a *six* argument version (even/odd).
When you use three arguments the first is used for the position of text,
i.e. above the text, margin or edge areas.

Only six or seven arguments work in this case but this only useful in a
double sided document.
> (2) It would also be useful that
> 	\setupheadertexts [{center}]
> NOT wipe-out left and right if they are set
> (but I could live with this perhaps historical behavior if we were to have (1).)
>
> (3) It is a bit messy that one must use
> 	\setupheader []
> 	\setupheader [left] [right]
> *two calls* in order to have no centered header.
> (Again, I could live with
> 	\setupheader [left] [] [right]
> if we were to have (1).)
>

> Similarly for footertexts, of course.
> What is the reasoning, presently?
>

> ALTERNATIVELY (or additionally), we could have
>
> \setupheadertexts [center={center},
>                     left={left},
>                     lefteven={left, even},
>                     ...]
>
> which would be even cleaner.
You need a new command for this because adding an assignment option can
produce unexpected results, e.g. the example below won't work anymore.

\setupheadertexts[{\date[d=...,m=...,y=...]}]

Wolfgang