[NTG-context] font switching commands

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 14:06:37 CEST 2019

Henri Menke schrieb am 19.07.2019 um 01:56:
> On 19/07/19 11:45 AM, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
>> Hi all
>> "Manuals-ConTeXt wiki" provides us very important and useful
>> information and we find cont-eni.pdf in "overview".  In the manual,
>> font switching commands \vi, \vii, \viii, \ix, \x, \xi, \xii are
>> explained in p.113 but it seems they don't work except \vi and \xi.
>>  From my simple test with ConTeXt, \xi produces a greek letter "ΞΎ"
>> as in traditional TeX and \vi seems to do nothing.
> This manual is for MKII (it is dated 2001).  The new font size switches
> are \tfa, \tfb, \tfc, and so on (or \bfa for bold etc.).  Generally, you
> want to use them very sparingly and only in setup code.  Your document
> content should not contain any explicit size switches.
\vi, \ix etc. and \tfa, \tfx etc. are two different types of font switches.

The no longer available commands \vi etc. change the global size and one
could replace them with \switchtobodyfont[6pt]. The other switches are local
changes of the font size which produce smaller or larger which depends on
the global size.

Wolfgang