[NTG-context] [DKIM Failure] Re: reference containing parentheses causes trouble

Peter Rolf indiego at gmx.net
Wed Jul 10 14:28:38 CEST 2019

Am 10.07.2019 um 13:36 schrieb Sanjoy Mahajan:
> On 2019-07-10 13:04, Peter Rolf <indiego at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sanjoy,
>>
>> I think it's just the 'normal' limitations you have when setting a
>> variable/id name. Special characters, like parenthesis, are not allowed
>> here.
>
> Peter,
>
> I think that's right, but there are small differences.  For example,
> variables in most languages don't allow hyphens, because they are
> interpreted as minus signs.  But ConTeXt references do allow them (and I
> use them all the time).  That may be why I expected free reign to use
> any characters in the reference (except, as you say, for whitespace!)
> and wrote my script accordingly to turn problem titles into references
> (by replacing whitespace with a hyphen).

I agree (I always use the underscore instead of space). In general it's
best to avoid problems if you can.
If you use messy third party data as reference things are totally
different. In my current project I have one dead link out of 1275 (also
caused by parenthesis). Not enough to make me write some extra code to
deal with it.

Peter