[NTG-context] crappy names in the fontloader

Marcel Fabian Krüger tex at 2krueger.de
Sat Jul 6 18:36:34 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

under default settings, the fontloaders discards all glyph names which
are considered "crappy", meaning matching the "p_crappyname" pattern in
"font-oup.lua". For some names this makes a lot of sense. For example
the name "uni0303" is considered "crappy" and it really provides no
useful information. Then there are other names like "t_uni0303" which
are still considered "crappy" while they actually aren't completely
useless. So I think there would be some value in preserving them. Of
course, you can always enable "otf.keepnames" if you need names like
this.

But I actually want to talk about another class of names: Look at
"Udotbelow". This is IMHO a perfectly normal and useful name, but the
fontloader still considers it "crappy" because it starts with a "U"
followed by a letter which could be a hexadecimal number.

I think this is a bit over-agressive. Maybe the "p_crappyname" pattern
could be changed to only look for "u<hexadecimal>" if followed by
"p_done", marking the end of a component?

Best regards,
Marcel Krüger