[NTG-context] issue with italic correction (again)

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Tue Jun 25 21:42:13 CEST 2019

Dear list,

[sorry for insisting, but I have the impression that the previous
version of this message went unnoticed.]

I have the following sample:

    \def\DesiredFont{TeX Gyre Termes}
    \definefontfeature[italic][itlc=yes,textitalics=yes]
    \setupitaliccorrection[global, always]
    \definefontfamily
        [mainface]
        [rm]
        [\DesiredFont]
    \definefontfamily
        [mainface_corrected]
        [rm]
        [\DesiredFont]
        [features={italic}]
    \setupbodyfont[mainface]
    \setupitaliccorrection[global,always]
    \starttext
    \startbuffer[chars]
    \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
        \dorecurse{26}
        {\setupbodyfont[mainface]%
            [{\em \recurselevel}]
            [{\em \characters{\recurselevel}}]
            [{\em \Characters{\recurselevel}}]
            ({\em \characters{\recurselevel}})
            ({\em \Characters{\recurselevel}})
        \hfill
        \setupbodyfont[mainface_corrected]
            [{\em \recurselevel}]
            [{\em \characters{\recurselevel}}]
            [{\em \Characters{\recurselevel}}]
            ({\em \characters{\recurselevel}})
            ({\em \Characters{\recurselevel}})
        \par}
    \stopTEXpage
    \stopbuffer
    \getbuffer[chars]
    \def\DesiredFont{TeX Gyre Pagella}
    \getbuffer[chars]
    \stoptext

This shows that sequences such as ({\em f}) are corrected with the
closing parenthesis, but not with the opening one.

Wouldn’t it be possible that italic correction could be enabled also
before the italic glyph(s)?

BTW, I wonder why the second definition of \DesiredFont doesn’t change
the font for the buffer used after it.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--