[NTG-context] Itemization formatting

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 29 17:31:39 CEST 2019

Taco Hoekwater schrieb am 29.05.2019 um 16:15:
> Hi all,
>
> I must be getting old :(
>
> It used to be that I could get ConTeXt to do what I wanted, but that is increasingly getting harder.
>
> Current problem: I would like to have itemizations that behave like in this dummy
> ascii formatting:
>
>    *   Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec dapibus turpis et
>    nulla venenatis tincidunt. Curabitur sit amet vehicula nisi, sit amet
>
> and so far it has been impossible for me to set up \setupitemize to do what I want.
>
> In descriptive text, what I want is:
>
> 1. some global indentation to the left and/or right. That is what the margin= key does
> 2. the symbol (or number) typeset in a specific width. That is the width= key
> 3. some distance between the number box and the following text. That is the distance= key
> 4. on line 2 and forward to the end of the item, I want a *different* indentation from the first item line.
>
> In this particular case, I want no extra indentation except for ‘margin’, but in other
> cases I may like either more or less indentation than on line 1 of the first para of the item.
>
> The desired effect is simple achieve with primitive operations, but I would like the input
> to look nice (not to mention that I do not want to loose options for cross-referencing etc).
>
>    \setupitemize[option=intext]
>
> is nearly right for this case (with indentation equal to the left margin), so I assumed I would
> be able to tweak that. But the problem there is that while it does 2-4, it ignores the extra
> indentation required for nested itemizations (it even ignores explicit margin= settings for the
> nested level). After fighting with this for hours, I am nearly ready to give up.
>
> Anybody have any idea how to get itemizations to do what I want?
>
> MWE attached.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco
> PS It seems that “indentnext=no” does not work for nested itemizations?

You can use the "text" option and add \par at the end of each item but
your requirements (hanging text, different margin and before/after
ssettings) are easier to solve with a description or enumeration.

\definesymbol
   [taco]
   [{\inframed[frame=off,width=2em,align=flushleft]{\textbullet}}]

\starttext

\samplefile{zapf}

\startitemize[text][symbol=taco]
   \item \samplefile{weisman}\par