[NTG-context] serial letters

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 24 18:05:15 CEST 2019

Jean-Philippe Rey schrieb am 24.05.2019 um 13:49:
> Hello Everybody,
>
>> Le 8 avr. 2019 à 15:26, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> a écrit :
>>
>> How would you approach serial letters, e.g. to all members of a club?
>> (Actually I need to send out donation receipts.)
>>
>> I’d like to use the letter module, since my usual letter design is using it.
>>
>> I can export the addresses to CSV, JSON, Lua tables or whatever or transfer them to a SQLite db.
>> Would it make more sense to read them in Lua and combine this data with a buffer, or to write a single tex file for every letter?
>> I know how to do the latter, but I’d like to learn a more ConTeXt-ish way.
>> Would it make sense to use the bibliographies module?
> I have the same need. I tried a basic solution:
>
> ======================= Start failing example
> \usemodule[letter]
>
> \setupletter[
>    signature={JPR},
>    closing={Sincerely yours,}
>    ]
>
> \def\GenLetter[#1]{
>    \getparameters[GL][#1]
>    \startletter[
>       toname={\GLto},
>       toaddress={\GLadr},
>       opening={\GLciv},
>       ]
>
>    Blah blah \GLciv.
>
>    \stopletter
> }
>
> \starttext
>
> \GenLetter[civ={M.}, to={Pierre Durand}, adr={Trifouillis-les-Oies}]
>
> \stoptext
> ======================= End failing example
>
> My idea being to generate as many letters I like by multiplying the \GenLetter line.
>
> However, I get an error message I don’t understand. Can someone point to the thing I am doing wrong ?
The problem is that you put the letter-environment in a command but the
environment uses the buffer mechanism to store the content which doesn't
work when it is used in a command definition.

What you have to do is to move the content of the letters out of the
\GenLetter command, you can use the lettercontent-environment for this.
In the \GenLetter command you now use the \placeletter command to flush
the content of the letter with the current values for the address etc.

%%%% begin example
\usemodule[letter]

\setupletter
   [signature={JPR},
      closing={Sincerely yours,}]

\setupletter
   [   toname=\correspondenceparameter{to},
    toaddress=\correspondenceparameter{adr},
      opening=\correspondenceparameter{civ}]

\startlettercontent
   Blah blah \correspondenceparameter{civ}.
\stoplettercontent

\def\GenLetter[#1]%
   {\begingroup
      \setupletter[#1]%
      \placeletter
    \endgroup}

\starttext

\GenLetter[civ={M.}, to={Pierre Durand}, adr={Trifouillis-les-Oies}]

\stoptext
%%%% end example

Wolfgang