[NTG-context] Strange behavior concerning pdf-output of .png-externalfigures

Rudolf Bahr quasi at quasi.de
Thu May 23 08:43:39 CEST 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:07:01AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 5/17/2019 10:23 AM, Rudolf Bahr wrote:

> > > Does that come from an pdf generated by image magick>? If so, the problem is
> > > there ... the last years I've seen lots of converted files with bogus pdf
> > > objects. (Kind of harmless but still.)
> > >
> > > Hans
> >

> > No. I never use neither ImageMagick nor GraphicsMagick to generate images in
> > .pdf-format. Even with my scanner software I produce always .jpg-images though it
> > is capable to produce .pdf-output too. The only .pdf-files I'm doing are made by
> > ConTeXt-LMTX!
> >
> > I shall append another, interesting MWE. There is a .png-image which is, as it
> > occasionally happens, represented as it should, by ConTeXt. And then the same .png-image
> > to which I added a red frame by GIMP2.10. This one shows artefacts in ConTeXt!
> >
> > I'm adding the .log-file too. There again is a luatex-warning, as I could observe them
> > often in ConTeXt-LMTX:
> the second image has a mask which is split off (an all 0xFF mask btw) .. it
> shows ok in acrobat so maybe gimp is at fault here?
>
> Hans

In the mean time I had some more tries with another OS and even with MKIV. Unfortunatly
I changed to OS "LinuxMint" at the same time LMTX came out. Now after going to
"Fedora 30" there are no problems left in this respect up to now. So I agree with you,
GIMP could have been the cause. Not GIMP in general, but possibly only "LinuxMint"-GIMP's
png-part.

I'm sorry because of the trouble, my fault!
Thanks to All who answered to this problem and contributed to a solution!

Best wishes, Rudolf