[NTG-context] Questions on columnsetspan (and grids and backgrounds)

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed May 15 09:28:11 CEST 2019

On 5/14/2019 11:36 AM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
> [...]
>>>      questions.
>>>
>>>      1) Is it only the floats that has the long list of placement options
>>>      (given on p. 18 in the columnsets manual), or should they also apply
>>>      to columnsetspans and columnsetareas? (I cannot get it to work with
>>>      "default=fxtb:2*10" and similar options for other elements than
>>>      floats). It would be useful to have it for other type of elements as
>>>      well.
>>>
>>>      2) What is the current correct way to get back on grid after formulas?
>>>      The only key that had lead me to something that seems to work in
>>>      \setupformulas is "option=depth". Is that the way to go?
>>>
>>>      3) This is a bit unrelated, but is it possible to set page backgrounds
>>>      on specific page. Something like \setupbackgrounds[page][page=3, ...]
>>>      (I cannot find any keys for this in setup-en.pdf). Right now I can set
>>>      it for an odd and an even page, but then if I want a background on the
>>>      page after that, I have to put that code at the place where it will be
>>>      used. (I got an error with \startpostponing[+1] ... \stoppostponing)
>>>
>>>      4) To be a bit more concrete on the first issue: In the example below,
>>>      how can I place the columnsetspan at the bottom right? Second and
>>>      third column, 10 lines down? I attach the result of running this file.
>>>
>>>      /Mikael
>>>
>>>      \setuplayout[grid=yes]
>>>      \showgrid
>>>      \definecolumnset[three][n=3]
>>>
>>>      \definecolumnsetspan[two][
>>>      n=2,
>>>      background=color,
>>>      backgroundcolor=lightgray,
>>>      ]
>>>
>>>      \starttext
>>>      \startcolumnset[three]
>>>      \samplefile{knuth}
>>>
>>>      \startcolumnsetspan[two][default=btrl]
>>>      \samplefile{ward}
>>>      \stopcolumnsetspan
>>>
>>>      \dorecurse{5}{\samplefile{knuth}\par}
>>>      \stopcolumnset
>>>      \stoptext
>>>

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have looked more carefully at the columnsets manual, and it looks like
>>> (parts of) the columnsets mechanism is somehow broken at the moment,
>>> since some of the examples there are not showing what they are supposed to.
>>
>> the mkii mechanism has been replaced by a new one but it's not
>> completely compatible (these placements are actually for floats and
>> spans were just a special kind abusing that mechanism)
>>
>>> Can this be confirmed? Is there a plan to get it to work soon again?
>> i'll put it on the todo list

>>                                             Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>>                 Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>>          tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl
>
> Hi!
>
> Many thanks for your reply! Then I stop my playing with it now
> (several things work and it looks quite nice!).
>
> I really appreciate any effort in this direction, since I think this
> grid+column functionality is a very nice feature to have!!
this will work in a next upload (watch out: columnsets operate on a spread)

\setuppagenumbering[alternative={doublesided}]

\showgrid

\setupalign[verytolerant] \dontcomplain

\definecolumnset[three][n=3]

\definecolumnsetspan[two]
   [n=2,
    background=color,
    backgroundcolor=lightgray]

\starttext

\page[left]

\startcolumnset[three]

     \startcolumnsetspan[two][c=1,r=5]
         \samplefile{ward}
     \stopcolumnsetspan

     \startcolumnsetspan[two][method=btlr,c=2,r=3]
         \samplefile{ward}
     \stopcolumnsetspan

     \dorecurse{6}{\samplefile{knuth}\par}

\stopcolumnset