[NTG-context] Strange behavior concerning pdf-output of externalfigures

Rudolf Bahr quasi at quasi.de
Tue Apr 30 16:56:13 CEST 2019

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 04:32:07PM -0600, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 13:18:04 +0200
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > anyway, as the png test suite passes ok the question is what makes your
> > image different ... here it looks ok when included on windows64 bit and
> > linux 64 bit
>
> Your very own .png image and MWE works fine here on OSX, freeBSD, and linux.
>
> Alan

Thank you, Alan! I converted this image and its comrades which showed artefacts to
.tiff-images and so they all work at their very best.

My conTeXt-version is:
This is LuaMetaTeX, Version 2.00.0
ConTeXt  ver: 2019.04.29 09:02 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.4.29

But the .log-file contains following strange lines:

[...]
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
pages           > flushing realpage 2, userpage 2, subpage 2
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
luatex warning  > pdfe: ?
pages           > flushing realpage 3, userpage 3, subpage 3
[...]

There are 6 such .tiff-images on page 2 (without any other images) and 3 on page 3.
On page 3 there are 5 other .png-images without any problems. I don't know what "pdfe"
means. The 9 .tiff-images are few years older than the .png-images on page 3. This
means they have been generated in a slightly other way than the newer .png-files
on page 3, for instance by an older context-mkiv and GIMP 2.8 on debian 8 (Jessie) or
later debian 9 (Stretch), wheras now I'm using context-lmtx on LinuxMint and GIMP2.10.

But, as I pointed out, this .tiff-workaround is ok for me, because the artefact effect
seems to be limited to those images on page 2 and 3 in my new book. Strange is, that
the artefacts (with the same images which haven't been changed in any way) didn't crop
up with older context-mkiv.

Rudolf