[NTG-context] Font expansion breaks interword spacing

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 19 17:45:12 CEST 2019

On 4/19/2019 10:34 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a document where I use font expansion to get better line breaks
> but as a result the spacing between the letters is completely messed up
> in some words.
>
> \definefontfeature [default] [default] [expansion=quality]
>
> \setupbodyfont [lucidaot]
>
> \setupalign [hz]
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{20}{appeared }
>
> \dorecurse{20}{around }
>
> \dorecurse{20}{accompanying }
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang
I think this is a side effect of the font design. Lucida has no kerns
which means that the boundingbox has to do the trick of kerning. Now, if
you look at the 'a' and 'r' you will notice that the right bounds of the
a and left bounds of the r are more of less touching the shape. So, when
we expand the shape that touching stays and becomes quite visible
compared to the far from touching other shape.s

Of course I can be looking at the wrong aspect but then i need an
example exposing it.

I'll send you some (lmtx) tweak to play with.