[NTG-context] change in treating errors

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Tue Apr 16 17:04:51 CEST 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 05:51:00 -0400
Mohammad Hossein Bateni <bateni at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) You could correct a spelling mistake on the prompt (as in original TeX),
> although this is rarely done these days.

As you said, doesn't happen.

> 2) You could use the --nonstopmode or --batchmode to not get the prompt,
> and not have the lingering background process (Mac bug?).

No, a consequence of the model. Lingering background processes often occurred after interrupting a run using a keyboard interrupt.

> 3) You could see a collection of errors which might help you in fixing them
> altogether without having to run context again and again finding one error
> at a time.  (Same thing with compiling a C/C++ code, and getting a list of
> many errors at once.)

As Hans said, such errors are rarely limited in scope and without side consequences, so a waste of time to "collect" multiple errors.

> 4) There are many "errors" and "warnings" that context does not stop on.
> You could perhaps claim moving on from those is also useless :)  Just to
> give some examples: missing modules, fonts, glyphs in fonts, etc.

Garbage in-garbage out.

By the way, I "rarely" make errors, ever, so I'm not really affected by this change. :-)

My favorite, however, was trying to launch X(11) from the console (by typing one too many X)!

Alan