[NTG-context] change in treating errors

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Tue Apr 16 06:28:08 CEST 2019

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:11:17 -0400
Mohammad Hossein Bateni <bateni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ConTeXt used to recover better from errors.  Consider the following file:
>
> =============
> \xyz
> \abc
>
> \starttext
> HELLO
> \stoptext
> =============
>
> Running  ConTeXt  ver: 2019.03.21 21:39 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.3.26  int:
> english/english would catch both "Undefined control sequence" errors before
> exiting with the message "mtx-context     | fatal error: return code:
> 256".  (I either press enter to move to the next error, or I use the
> --nonstopmode option.)
>
> Now with ConTeXt  ver: 2019.04.13 17:01 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.4.15  int:
> english/english, even when I do not supply the --nonstopmode option,
> ConTeXt exits abnormally with the same error message right after
> discovering the first undefined control sequence.  The old "?" TeX prompt
> allowing once to fix the misspellings, etc. does not appear at all.
>
> Has some defaults changed?  Is it possible to get the old behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> ~MHB

I much prefer the new behavior, for the previous prompt was pretty useless and there was little point going on without correcting an earlier error. Furthermore, the model would often leave a furtive process running in the background following a keyboard interrupt (especially on Mac OSX). The new process does not do this.

Alan