[NTG-context] luatex crash around page 1000

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 11 17:16:26 CEST 2019

On 4/11/2019 12:28 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> I have a compilation problem with a data driven document.
> This is what I get after around 12min (first run)...

I'm still puzzled by this 12 min ... so less than one page per second
... do you need to process all that data each run? It's over a decade
ago that I could start a run and come back after an enforced break to
check. Is there some memory build up (swapping)? Is the speed linear?

\enabletrackers[pages.timing]

Will show the time spend per page.

> [..]
> pages           > flushing realpage 991, userpage 970, subpage 991
> pages           > flushing realpage 992, userpage 971, subpage 992
> pages           > flushing realpage 993, userpage 972, subpage 993
> mtx-context     | fatal error: return code: -1073741571
>

> It compiles fine if I just use the first or second "half" of the data.
> But as soon as I reach a certain amount of pages, it crashes.
> An older version compiled fine with 958 users pages (977 total). Seems
> that the data has reached a dimension that causes a resource problem.
>
> Any advice? I looked into "texmf.cnf" and "texmfcnf.lua" for possible
> bottlenecks, but I lack the knowledge what to change. And it simply
> takes too much (run)time to just play around with some values.
I'll add a \showusage commands that reports some stats per page so that
you can see what grows out of control.