[NTG-context] SyncTeX and Skim/TeXShop

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 10 09:12:06 CEST 2019

On 4/9/2019 7:23 PM, Nicola Vitacolonna wrote:
> Hi,
> is anyone using ConTeXt with Skim, or TeXShop, on macOS?
>
> SyncTeX used to work fine with ConTeXt in both apps. Now, it seems that ConTeXt has started to generate a .synctex file rather than a .synctex.gz, and the format seems to have changed (?). As I haven’t followed recent (or perhaps not so recent) developments in this area, do you have any suggestions to make SyncTeX work again?

- there is no benefit in a foo.synctex.gz file over a foo.synctex file;
context generates relative efficient synctex files

- context generates synctex code that is suits the way it works (for tex
as well as xml input); in context lmtx i still need to add some lines to
the context code (not done yet as i don't use synctex myself)

- the synctex file format has changes recently so mayb that is your
problem; unfortunately syntex support in viewers is via a library anod
not via a "call to a command that returns file and position in file"
which would have made that feature future proof (mtxrun --script synctex
could provide that)