[NTG-context] index "compress" option / collapsing of page numbers

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Wed Apr 3 11:41:06 CEST 2019

> On 3. Apr 2019, at 10:56, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> wrote:
>
> Thank you – it’s not only a German habit, even if we pronounce it “folgende”, “f.” stems from Latin “folio”, and “ff.” is a duplicated abbreviation, as was usual in mediaeval Latin.
> So, this is at least used in English, German, Norwegian and Swedish, as far as I could find. In French they seem to use “sq.” and “sqq.” (sequens).

I’m not sure the abbreviation for “folio” has anything to do with our German “folgende”; if you have a link for this, I would like to know. And for the record: “ff.” for page ranges is now discouraged in most scholarly publications; journals and publishers now say f. for x - x+1, or exact page numbers.

Thomas