[NTG-context] index "compress" option / collapsing of page numbers

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Wed Apr 3 10:56:21 CEST 2019

Am 2019-04-02 um 18:53 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl>:

> On 4/2/2019 11:54 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Ahoi,
>> with \setupregister[compress=yes], index entries 1,2,3,4 become 1–4. That’s great.
>> But (at least in German publications) it’s usual that 1,2 becomes 1f. and 1,2,3 becomes 1ff.
>> Is it possible to configure it that way?
> it should not be too hard to program but, it being german problem:
>
> - you have to come up with an example
> - wolfgang has to come up with a proper keyword (compress=?)

Thank you – it’s not only a German habit, even if we pronounce it “folgende”, “f.” stems from Latin “folio”, and “ff.” is a duplicated abbreviation, as was usual in mediaeval Latin.
So, this is at least used in English, German, Norwegian and Swedish, as far as I could find. In French they seem to use “sq.” and “sqq.” (sequens).

https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/ff.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ff.
https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/sq.

I suggest the following setup options:

compress = no  —> don’t collapse (as now)
compress = yes —> always use – (as now)

compresssymbols={\,f.,\,ff.} (or how can you setup a list?)
compress = symbols —> use first symbol for one other page, second for more pages
	if there’s only one symbol, more than one sequential page should use – (like “yes”)

Is this feasible?

As far as I see, we need this only for index entries, i.e. \setupregister, since there’s no command like \at for more than one page anyway; or is there a need to collapse pages in bibliographies?

Test case:

\usemodule[visual]
\setuppapersize[A6]

\setupregister[index][
  compress=yes,
  %compresssymbols={\,f.,\,ff.},
  %compress=symbols,
]

\starttext
\placeindex\index{nonsense}
\page

\strut\index{something}\page
\strut\index{something}\page

\dorecurse{7}{
\fakewords{10}{100}\index{something}\par
\fakewords{20}{200}\index{other}\par
\fakewords{10}{100}\index{something}\par
}
\index{finis} % not flushed?

\stoptext

Greetlings, Hraban