[NTG-context] Welcome to LMTX

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 1 18:43:50 CEST 2019

On 4/1/2019 5:36 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 01/04/2019 15:55, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After more than a decade of mkiv and luatex it's time to move on to a
>> new stage. After all, nowadays a ten-year old program is considered to
>> be really old, especially for those who consider a manual typeset
>> three years ago as an indication of lack of progress. Therefore:
>> welcome to lua(meta)tex 2.00 and context lmtx, the follow up on luatex
>> and mkiv, if you dare. It has many deep-down changes but aims to be a
>> simple evolution.
>>
>> The average user will probably not notice many differences but
>> nevertheless, when you are in for something new, you can give it a try:
>>
>>       http://www.pragma-ade.nl/install.htm
>>
>> Of course you should keep your current installation too. We're sure
>> that there will be issues so when you run into unexpected surprises,
>> you can blame us (and fall-back on the current Context beta and
>> luatex). Of course with the proper mwe's (tex, metapost, lua, or a
>> combination of these) we will try to solve them all, we have been
>> testing. In due time more about this project will be revealed.
>>
>> Hans Hagen & Alan Braslau
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for the link to the code. A quick install suggests that a 'hello
> world' is working nicely from ConTeXt. However, if I try what you might
> expect from me
>
>      luametatex --ini latex.ltx
>
> things go a bit wrong:
>
>      This is LuaMetaTeX, Version 2.00.0  (INITEX)
>      ! error:  (system): missing find_write_file callback
>
> (I also notice there is no plain-like format for testing, or at least
> that just "luametatex" yields an error.)

i might cook up something plain but it has a very low priority, after
all, plain works with luatex

> Clearly things work for ConTeXt, so there must be some early Lua magic
> or similar required. Any thoughts? (I don't get a .log or any other
> output.)
it's a stripped down "lean and mean" engine so it's very unlikely to
work with plain and latex or other macro packages out of the box

a manual will come available around the context meeting, articles will
be published the coming months and reveal a bit more

(all this involved over half a year of development and exploration,
which itself is documented which will also surface around the ctx
meeting or when i feel the need)