[NTG-context] Setting tabulate table width with \textwidth inside an item group

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 23:12:32 CET 2019

Clyde Johnston schrieb am 27.02.19 um 22:49:
> Dear List:
>
> I have a tabulate table inside an indented item group and I would like
> to set the width of the table to the \hbox size of the surrounding
> text.  If I use \textwidth as a width parameter, the table spills into
> the right margin (see attached).
>
> What is the correct parameter to use to set the width of the table to
> the width of the text in the item group?
>
> _MWE_
>
> \starttext
>
> \showframe
>
> \startitemize[n,3*broad]
>
>      \startitem{%
>
>          \input ward
>
>          \starttabulate[|cp(.25\textwidth)|cp(.75\textwidth)|]
>
>              \HL
>
>              \NC Column A \NC Column B \NC \NR
>
>              \HL
>
>              \NC 1 \NC 2 \NC \NR
>
>              \NC 2 \NC 3 \NC \NR
>
>              \NC 3 \NC 4 \NC \NR
>
>              \NC 4 \NC 5 \NC \NR
>
>              \NC 5 \NC 6 \NC \NR
>
>              \BL
>
>          \stoptabulate
>
>          \input ward
>
>          }
>
>      \stopitem
>
> \stopitemize
>
> \stoptext

1. There is a space between the columns which has to taken into account
when you set the width of the columns, in your example your tables has a
width of textwidth plus the distance between the columns.

2. \textwidth doesn’t in the argument for the items but you can use the
\localhsize length to get the current width of the text block.

3. You can let ConTeXt calculate the width of the second column which
saves you from guessing the needed value for the column width.

4. You don’t need braces around the content for the items.

\showframe

\starttext

\startitemize[n,3*broad]
     \startitem