[NTG-context] markdown module vs pandoc

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Fri Feb 22 20:22:32 CET 2019

On 2/21/19 9:59 PM, Gour wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 18:50:41 +0100 Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> I’m still behind the environment itself, although I realized that
>> these may not be relevant to everybody. I store the new commits in a
>> private repository.
>
> Aha...I believe I might be interested. :-)

Hi Gour,

the code in my private repository is unnecessarily complex for too
narrow cases.

I think that the most valuable feature of environment itself (the file
'pandoc-xhtml.tex') is the practical introduction to “Dealing with XML
in ConTeXt” (http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/xml-mkiv.pdf).

>> I use the XML handling (generating the XHTML with pandoc) in ConTeXt
>> for almost all the documents I compile with ConTeXt. I think this is
>> the way to go.
>
> I admit it sounds/looks very good. Morever, it could allow me to e.g. use
> org-mode for my original markup which I use anyway with Emacs and then do
> org-mode --> XHTML.

ConTeXt only requires XML source as input to typeset it.

>> My environment is only an example. You may write another one for your
>> own needs, you don’t have to use mine.
>
> Heh, for that I must learn some things first. :-)

The published code is fine for what you want. The latest version would
be misleading. It is crappy in many aspects (even for myself).

>> There are other options, but LaTeX is a real problem for the
>> development of pandoc, because many times users expect pandoc as a
>> layer that spares them the actual dealing with LaTeX.
>
> ConTeXt is certainly more appealing..

ConTeXt deals with XML natively.

Cheers,

Pablo