[NTG-context] degrade module

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 00:21:18 CET 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 23:50:24 +0100
Peter M√ľnster <pm at a16n.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18 2019, Alan Braslau wrote:
>
> > Incorrect, an image file contains width and height (in pixels) as well as a
> > resolution,
>
> Optionally a resolution in the metadata. Then, of course, you have a
> "natural size". But that doesn't matter, if you want other dimensions.

For example, in Context

\externalfigure [myfigure]

should give this natural size. Of course, you can always specify other dimensions,
in which case it gets scaled. Since what counts for our use in Context is usually
fixing a particular size, i.e. [width=\textwidth], the "resolution", i.e. density
in pixels is something that we want to control. So if we want to print to 300 dpi,
for example, and we have a text width of 17cm, say, then we would like to have an
image that is some 2000 pixels in width. One can normalize one's collection of
images however one wishes, but manipulating them on the fly as one changes layout
or image placement hardly seems efficient, even if one were to be clever in storing
copies and looking at time stamps. A little bit of forethought might be better, and
more predictable.

Alan