[NTG-context] markdown module vs pandoc

Gour gour at atmarama.com
Mon Feb 18 18:47:49 CET 2019

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:40:44 +0100
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I was you, I would use AsciiDoc, convert it to DocBook and process
> the XML. (There is some simple proof-of-concept docbook processing
> already written.)

Uff, even when considering to just use AsciiDoc, I was always trying to stay
away from DocBook. :-)

Do you personally use that?

> Markdown is super ambiguous, with lots of different flavours, and
> often resorting to HTML for the lack of more expressive syntax.

I'm aware of that and that was the reason why in the past I was exploring
reST/AsciiDoc, but then I thƣnk that maybe I can use markdown just for
simpler/shorter content when publishing on web sites via static-site-generator
and for the rest (study notes, slide presentations, alreger texts and/or books)
to simply write directly in ConTeXt markup?

> There is relatively little syntax you need to learn to achive nearly
> anything,

This is something what I like - simplicity is always a virtue.

> I use TikZ when I need some ready-made stuff with possibly some fancy
> shading patterns (or when I would pass the images to LaTeX users). In
> those cases you might be able to achive the same in a lot less lines
> of code, but you usually constantly need the user manual at hand, and
> doing something low level is more tricky. ConTeXt support might be
> occasionally broken.

Thank you. It seems that metaPost/Fun is a way to go...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As a lamp in a windless place does not waver, so the transcendentalist,
whose mind is controlled, remains always steady in his meditation on the