[NTG-context] markdown module vs pandoc

Gour gour at atmarama.com
Fri Feb 15 17:49:05 CET 2019

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 06:11:32 -0500 (EST)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam at umich.edu> wrote:

> For obvious reasons, the built in markdown module is faster than
> calling pandoc but I prefer using pandoc rather than the markdown
> module for two reasons. First, pandoc provides many extensions to the
> basic markdown syntax which I use frequently and second pandoc has
> better documentation.

Thank you.

> Markdown is a loosely specified standard and sometimes it can be tricky to
> figure out how to get a particular behavior.

That's correct - I was using reST in the past, but lack of support for e.g.
nested inline markup leads to strange and ugly workarounds. Then I was
considering AsciiDoc(tor), but consider that for simpler stuff (Pnadoc)
markdown could be enough, but for larger bodies of text ConTeXt is without
comparison.

> So, if you are planning to use markdown for simple documents then go
> with the markdown module but if you have more complicated document
> structure, use pandoc.

Do I inderstand you correctly: for more complicated documents you use Pandoc'
markdown and then do Pandoc --> ConTeXt conversion to typeset with the
ConTeXt at the end?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Those who are on this path are resolute in purpose,
and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus,