[NTG-context] markdown module vs pandoc

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Feb 15 12:11:32 CET 2019

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019, Gour wrote:

> I'm interested for using markdown markup and typeset such documents via
> ConTeXt, but wonder whether it is recommended to use Markdown module or do
> markdown --> ConTeXt via Pandoc?

For obvious reasons, the built in markdown module is faster than calling
pandoc but I prefer using pandoc rather than the markdown module for two
reasons. First, pandoc provides many extensions to the basic markdown
syntax which I use frequently and second pandoc has better documentation.
Markdown is a loosely specified standard and sometimes it can be tricky to
figure out how to get a particular behavior.

So, if you are planning to use markdown for simple documents then go with
the markdown module but if you have more complicated document structure,
use pandoc. If you use the filter module then you can easily switch back
and forth between the two markdown "backends" without changing your
source.

Aditya