[NTG-context] Bad names

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 9 20:47:24 CET 2019

On 2/9/2019 12:15 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 23:26:21 +0100
> Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> On 2/8/2019 10:22 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
>>
>>> What is a bad name for context? Does it have any consequences if badly named
>>> files are used? Just being curious.
>> Bad names are names that can result i a miss when looked up on a case
>> sensitive system. When you have a workflow where images come from e.g.
>> graphic designers don't be surprised to get names with inconsistent
>> casing, one of more spaces in a row, multiple suffixes (or wrong ones),
>> etc etc ... now when images are referred to e.g. from xml files that
>> also come from someplace it can get pretty hard to find where something
>> goes miss. So, here we always normalize (az09-).
>>
>> In a tex tree files with the same name can lead to wrong lookups
>> depending on the order of configured paths. There context alway has had
>> case insensitive lookups.
>
> Because people use brain-dead file systems
> we get to use brain-dead file names, case-insensitive, etc., etc.
>
> This can be a bit frustrating for those used to working with real file systems
> and real (arbitrary) file names, but it gives better results
> for the least common denominator, i.e. Windows... :-(
very subjective ... when program shave to deal with names Foo FoO FOO
foo ... a pain esp when users don't care, are inconistent, dont' see a
difference between one or two (proportionally displayed) spaces

imo windows is quite ok: in permits mixed case but also has a normalized
name .. it's for the tex runs on unixes that we always need to deal with
inconsistent naming

the problem is nor that much related to operatign systems but to graphic
editors using a gui, moving files around without typing, constructing
names from cur and pasted sentences describing the image (and mouse
moves give worse names than keypresses). Fwiw: most images that we deal
with come from illustrator on the mac.