[NTG-context] Bad names

Marco Patzer lists at homerow.info
Sat Feb 9 12:37:14 CET 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 23:26:21 +0100
Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2/8/2019 10:22 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
>
> > What is a bad name for context? Does it have any consequences if
> > badly named files are used? Just being curious.
> Bad names are names that can result i a miss when looked up on a case
> sensitive system. When you have a workflow where images come from
> e.g. graphic designers don't be surprised to get names with
> inconsistent casing, one of more spaces in a row, multiple suffixes
> (or wrong ones)

That's so true. I'm not surprised about anything when dealing with
people. People are really bad at being precise and consistent. You
can wish they were, but they just aren't.

> ... now when images are referred to e.g.
> from xml files that also come from someplace it can get pretty hard
> to find where something goes miss. So, here we always normalize
> (az09-).

So every file name containing something else than lowercase, digits
and a dash is “bad” (and dots obviously)? Doesn't seem to be true:

  a.1.png  %% bad name

Names are read from a database in this case, in case you're
wondering.

Marco