[NTG-context] Bad names

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Sat Feb 9 00:15:41 CET 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 23:26:21 +0100
Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2/8/2019 10:22 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
>
> > What is a bad name for context? Does it have any consequences if badly named
> > files are used? Just being curious.
> Bad names are names that can result i a miss when looked up on a case
> sensitive system. When you have a workflow where images come from e.g.
> graphic designers don't be surprised to get names with inconsistent
> casing, one of more spaces in a row, multiple suffixes (or wrong ones),
> etc etc ... now when images are referred to e.g. from xml files that
> also come from someplace it can get pretty hard to find where something
> goes miss. So, here we always normalize (az09-).
>
> In a tex tree files with the same name can lead to wrong lookups
> depending on the order of configured paths. There context alway has had
> case insensitive lookups.

Because people use brain-dead file systems
we get to use brain-dead file names, case-insensitive, etc., etc.

This can be a bit frustrating for those used to working with real file systems
and real (arbitrary) file names, but it gives better results
for the least common denominator, i.e. Windows... :-(

Alan