[NTG-context] Making ConTeXt stop on all or some errors

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 19:30:56 CET 2019

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 19:03:35 +0100
"Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Am 07.02.19 um 17:46 schrieb Alan Braslau:
> > On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 07:27:57 +0100 (UTC)
> > "Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context at mailbox.org> wrote:
> >
> >> At least a missing file should make ConTeXt stop immediately.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > (I often process with missing figures, etc. Of course, not for a final
> > run, but adding showstoppers leads to overhead and longer processing
> > times. People first coming to ConTeXt look for such bells and whistles
> > as many other programs hold your hand in this way. This also explains
> > why these programs often lack in performance as well.)
> >
> > Alan
> >

> You see placeholders in the pdf, if a figure is missing. The only info
> that the color profile is missing is in the log file. You don't see it.
>
> juh

That was just an example.

You are free to write a macro to include color profile files that tests and puts a placeholder or stops processing. The point is that ConTeXt, by design, does not come with bells and whistles, and most mistakes are either silently ignored or flagged in the log file. Anyone making production products to be sent to the printer ought to look at the log files before sending.

Alan