[NTG-context] Scaling down symbols and emojis

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:24:41 CET 2019

User 19087 schrieb am 16.01.19 um 21:56:
> I'm having trouble scaling down symbols and emojis. For a while I
> assumed these don't scale with the current font size. Then I scoured
> the mailing list and realized that while scaling down seems broken,
> scaling up works as expected:
\tx (or \tfx, \bfx etc.) and \txx are ignored in some cases unlike the
other size switches (\tfa etc.).

When you need a switch for a smaller size which doesn’t has these
limitations you can just create them:

\definefontsize [m]
\definefontsize [n]

\setupbodyfontenvironment
   [default]
   [m=0.8,
    n=0.6]

> \usesymbols[mvs]
>
> \setupsymbolset[martinvogel 2]
>
> %\showallmakeup
>
> \starttext
> % Progressively larger as expected.
> \symbol[ShortForty]
> {\tfa\symbol[ShortForty]}
> {\tfb\symbol[ShortForty]}
> {\tfc\symbol[ShortForty]}
> {\tfd\symbol[ShortForty]}
>
> % Unexpectedly all the same size.
> \symbol[ShortForty]
> {\tfx\symbol[ShortForty]}
> {\tfxx\symbol[ShortForty]}
>
> % This works, but why? Isn't \small just a synonym for \tfx via
> % \definealternativestyle? Anyway there is no synonym for \tfxx.
> \symbol[ShortForty]
> {\switchtobodyfont[small]\symbol[ShortForty]}
> {\small\symbol[ShortForty]}
No, \small us the same as \switchtobodyfont[small]
> % This also works but is less than ideal when matching surrounding
> font sizes.
> % Which factor should I use to match \tfxx?
> \symbol[ShortForty]
> \scale[factor=4]{\symbol[ShortForty]}
x = 0.8
xx = 0.6