[NTG-context] inline textbackgrounds across linebreaks

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jan 15 14:36:22 CET 2019

Hi,

Quick explanation: I am trying to implement the concept of the HTML <u> tag,
which is supposed to be like a font switch, but doing underlining. I have a
bunch of french clients, and this is a requirement I cannot get around. French
officials _love_ underlining and uppercasing :(

Because of its flexibility, I try to use text backgrounds, but that seems to
only work when the text does not break across lines: when on one line, the
background starts and stops at the right spot, great! But if there is a line
break, then it underlines complete lines, even for the first and last line.

Is there any way to have underlining + line breaks behave correctly?
(perhaps not using text backgrounds at all?)

My current code is attached.

Best wishes,
Taco