[NTG-context] Manipulating the left blank page when chapter starts on the right page

Rik Kabel rik at panix.com
Sun Jan 13 00:00:17 CET 2019

On 1/12/2019 16:08, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Hi Aditya,
>
> Am 12.01.19 um 20:11 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> in my document \startchapter and \starttitle starts a new chapter on the
>>> right (odd) page. So sometimes, there is a blank even page just before a
>>> new chapter.
>>>
>>> I would like to manipulate this blank even page.
>>>
>>> There are several things I would like to do, eg. having no headers and
>>> footers, setting the background color to a named color, placing an image
>>> or some graphics on the page.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to define such a page, name it and call it in
>>> \startchapter so that it is placed on the left side.
>> See https://tex.stackexchange.com/q/457428/323
> Thanks a lot, but I wasn't looking for a way to just delete page numbers
> but to style the empty page in arbitrary ways.
>
> Maybe it is better to do this manually.
>
> I would let chapter open on even pages too and just insert a styled page
> by hand.
>
> juh

I place an epigraph on verso page before a few chapters with the following:

    \definehead[ChapterEpigraph][title]
    \setuphead [ChapterEpigraph][
                           page={yes,left},
                           insidesection=\vfill,
                           aftersection={\vfill\vfill},
                           header=empty,
                           placehead=no,
                          ]

    %% The following always creates a verso page if there is an
    %%   epigraph to set or not.

    \startsetups chapter:epigraph
         \doifelsebuffer{ChapterEpigraph}
             {\page[yes,header,footer,left]
              \dontleavehmode
              \vfill
              \getbuffer   [ChapterEpigraph]
              \resetbuffer [ChapterEpigraph]
              \vfill
              \vfill
             }
             {\page[yes,header,footer,left]}
         \page[yes,header,footer,right]
    \stopsetups

    <...>

    \stopchapter%   end previous chapter

    \startChapterEpigraph% no epigraph on next

    \stopChapterEpigraph

    \startchapter[reference={cha:no-epigraph-chapter},
                   title={Chapter with no epigraph}]
    <...>

    \stopchapter%

    \startChapterEpigraph

    <stuff to put in epigraph here>

    \stopChapterEpigraph

    \startchapter[reference={cha:next-chapter},
                   title={Chapter with epigraph}]

    <...>

I am not sure where I got the hints for this. I haven't revisited it for
a while, and it does look like there is some redundant use of \vfill,
but it worked for me. You may be able to build on it.