[NTG-context] fontloader error in latex: attempt to call upvalue 'getdirection' (a nil value)

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Thu Jan 10 17:13:26 CET 2019

On 1/7/19 12:40 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> I just tried to import the fontloader from 2019-01-03 into latex,
> and get on a simple document the error
>
>  (./test-utf8.aux)error:
> ...ad/texmf/tex/luatex/luaotfload/fontloader-2019-01-03.lua:23868:
> attempt to call upvalue 'getdirection' (a nil value)
> [...]
> I have no idea (yet) if this is latex specific or if it could affect
> context too but thought I better mention it. The line refers to this
> part of the code:
>
>   pardirstate=function(start)
>     local nxt=getnext(start)
>     local dir=getdirection(start) --<--
>     if dir==lefttoright then
>       return nxt,1,1

Many thanks for your report, Ulrike.

This was the same problem that prevented the compilation of the
following code:

    \setupdirections[bidi=on, method=two]
    \starttext
    \input zapf
    \stoptext

After your report, Hans fixed the issue (which I tried to report twice,
but the mailing list rejected my messages).

Many thanks for your report and for the fix from Hans,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk