[NTG-context] final thoughts on experiments with lua

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 21:38:44 CET 2019

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 20:57:21 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> 3. Lua's handling of tables is very efficient and fast. For analyzing my
> Greek texts, I have to use huge tables for morphological parsing, with
> more than 900,000 entries. Looking up words in these tables is around 3x
> faster in Lua than in python!

I have found, in my limited use (and understanding) of lua for data analysis is that it is indeed VERY fast, and not only beats python without comparison, it also handles quite large data sets without choking.

It has become fashionable to use hardware GPUs to speed-up parallel calculation tasks, and this is now often done using libraries having python bindings. I wonder if python becomes the limiting factor in those applications?

Alan