[NTG-context] table cell minimum heights -- help needed

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 17:51:53 CET 2018

Aditya Mahajan schrieb am 14.12.18 um 15:18:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2018, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to process html tables that are styled using css,
>> and I have problem with the ‘height’ property. CSS (or rather, the
>> html browser) interprets ‘height’ as if it was a “minheight”, and
>> if the content does not fit, it will just enlarge the height until
>> it does fit.
>>
>> Needless to say: I want that same functionality from the ConTeXt
>> table I am using to generate the PDF and not end up with text
>> crossing row boundaries. And I cannot figure out how
>> to do it, as neither bTABLE’s \bTD nor xtable’s \startxcell
>> interpret a “minheight" parameter. And whatever I put in “height”
>> becomes the absolute value of the cell height.
>> Did I miss something? I cannot imagine that this problem has not
>> come up before…
>
> AFAIK, there is no option to do this. The closest option is
> `autowidth=force` for `\framed` etc. which forces `width` to behaves
> as `maxwidth`. It will be nice to explicitly add both
> minwidth/minheight and maxwidth/maxheight options to framed, etc.

Adding minwidth is possible without problems but maximum values
can be problematic because you have to do a lot of size checks
and since framed is used by many other commands you would
increase compilation time.

The better solution to have maxwidth/maxheight support is to create
a new command which uses multiple passes to get the necessary
values for both directions (which already happens for natural and
extreme tables).

Wolfgang