[NTG-context] graphics

Henri Menke henrimenke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 00:56:41 CET 2018

On 13/12/18 10:39 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:03:40 +1300
> Henri Menke <henrimenke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, my mistake, the Bessel functions are not a GCC extension but
>> POSIX standard functions.
>> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/j0.html
>> Since TeX Live is always built on a POSIX platform (MSYS2 on Windows),
>> you can expect j0 etc. to be available in LuaTeX.
>
> That is true for the Bessel functions, but not for some other "-lmath"
> functions (such as the erf), so they may depend on the system.

erf definitely does not depend on the system.  That is part of the C
Standard library.
https://en.cppreference.com/w/c/numeric/math/erf

But in general you are right.  The zoo of special functions in the
Standard library and POSIX is rather limited.  Personally I prefer using
the GNU Scientific library if I need special functions.
https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/doc/html/index.html

Earlier this year I wrote a TUGboat article about using GSL with FFI in
LuaTeX.
https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb39-1/tb121menke-ffi.pdf
I also plan on submitting an abstract about that topic for TUG2019 in
Palo Alto.