[NTG-context] External Figure add caption or alternative text for tagged pdf/x

Kelley, Claire ckelley at air.org
Tue Dec 11 19:26:09 CET 2018

Hi All.

I am trying to embed an image in a pdf so that when you open the pdf in acrobat or another reader the image is correctly tagged as an image and there is alternative text. So far I am able to export the back end tags so that I can see tags on tables and paragraphs, but the image comes through tagged as a paragraph and I am unable to add any alternative text. This is the code I am using:

\setupbackend
  [format=PDF/X-1a:2001,
   export=yes]

\externalfigure[district.pdf][height=10cm]

Does anyone have any idea how I could fix this?

Thanks!
Claire