[NTG-context] Issues using publications subsystem for non-bibliographic database

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Sat Dec 8 21:30:45 CET 2018

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 21:11:17 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> I find myself in
> situations where I want a reference, but this list should not be
> included in the document. Example: you distribute a bibliographical list
> on your handout and want your slides to display the numeric reference,
> but not the list itself.

I used to think like Rik is suggesting, and had long debates with Hans (with Mojca contributing) about preparing drafts... Typesetting a single chapter (of a thesis, for example) led to problems of references. The solution, of course, as I wrote is to use partial bibliographies and modes.

In the case of slides + handout, I always typeset them together as one "document" which I then split, as a sort of body and back matter. There likely is a better way.

Finally, footnote style references is indeed obsolete, or becoming obsolete, yet they are still very much used in many disciplines. It's just a question of time getting to implement this (and Hans quite often, rightfully, criticizes my *abuse* of footnotes in general, not simply due to their typesetting complication and interference with an *abuse* of floats).

Alan