[NTG-context] Issues using publications subsystem for non-bibliographic database

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sat Dec 8 21:11:17 CET 2018

On 08.12.18 20:50, Alan Braslau wrote:
> In my incremental development, I place a bibliography at the end of a chapter, part, or even section - there is no need for this to be backmatter. Using modes, these then can remain or not be rendered as design advances.

I've been following this thread somewhat distractedly... From a
systematic point of view, Alan is of course right: a reference should
refer to something, which is normally a list. However, I find myself in
situations where I want a reference, but this list should not be
included in the document. Example: you distribute a bibliographical list
on your handout and want your slides to display the numeric reference,
but not the list itself. So I wonder if one possible solution would be
to provide the possibility to have the list calculated but not typeset
(hidden). In a naive way, I tried something like

\hbox to width 0cm{\placelistofpublications}

but that doesn't work. But I'm sure this should be easily doable? As for
something like full citation information in the footnote, with
crossreference (something like "above, n. XXX"): the format seems
obsolete, I agree, but at least in the humanities, it is still often
used and would be very handy to have.

All best

Thomas