[NTG-context] Issues using publications subsystem for non-bibliographic database

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Sat Dec 8 05:34:58 CET 2018

On 12/7/2018 22:51, Alan Braslau wrote:
> You can place references rendered as you need, not necessarily in one
> single bibliography list, but they must be rendered somewhere,
> otherwise numbering and cross-referencing is meaningless. In the case
> of footnote references, each footnote contains a rendering (not a
> citation) of a fragment of the list.
>
> You are thinking too much in a standard frame, and I'm not sure what
> you want to accomplish.
>
> One "other use" case that I make is a catalog of hundreds of
> mesophases. I "cite" them and their various properties throughout the
> text, an my "list rendering" has become an index.
>
> Alan

I would like simply to prepare a paper structured like the one found at
https://tannerlectures.utah.edu/Greenblatt%20Lecture.pdf. There is no
biblography; there are bibliographic references in footnotes. There is
no interaction. The only cross-references are the footnote indices.

If I could in addition pull in blocks of text from a secondary database,
that is lagniappe. Neither function requires rendering in a separate
list or lists.

Certainly ConTeXt's bibliographic subsystem should be capable of
supporting such a basic format as that, but I can see no way to get it
to do so.

--
Rik